|Enclose a small gift in the matchbox drawer. Bon voyage!|
|Choice of tags.|
Free downloads plus a tutorial follow. There's a .pdf because this project is simple enough to make by hand.
Matchbox Suitcase Tut
1. Above, suitcase pieces cut out and folded. Left to right: matchbox drawer, matchbox wrap, suitcase handle (top), suitcase straps. Choose a fun print for the wrap or go for leather-look textured paper.
2. Pic above shows the outside of the matchbox drawer. Double-sided tape is applied to the tabs. (Alternatively, it is OK to glue the tabs.)
3. Pic above shows the inside of the matchbox drawer, with tape on the
4. To assemble the drawer, stick each side tab to the adjacent side.
5. To complete the matchbox drawer, fold the side flaps to the inside. Like so:
7. Next, glue the inside of the handle together.
8. Apply d/s tape to the top of the handle flaps.
9. Insert the handle into the slot in the suitcase strap piece.
Then join the suitcase strap piece to make a loop. Like so:
The completed suitcase straps form a cage which is slipped over the matchbox.
10. To complete the matchox suitcase, simply slide the straps over the matchbox. Ease the straps on and move them to the centre of the matchbox. Tie on the tags for the finishing touch. Good to go!
Above, my primitive photo-editing skills. I'll get there eventually. Patience!
To open the drawer, just push gently from the opposite side. You can add a pull tab if you wish (given on the template).
Thanks to Leah for taking the big pics and to Michael for photographing the how-tos on a very hot day.